Friday, April 10, 2009

Module 8: Contiguous Cartograms




















I'm not at all sure about the legend. I wanted to convey that the countries with the greatest increase in size indicated a greater GDP. I used a divergent color scheme to further highlight which countries had higher GDP's. The size increase from the cartogram application made it easy to see which countries had higher GDP's, if I was familiar with the geography. But, a country like South Africa, whose actual shape I'm not terribly familiar with was difficult to determine at a glance.

Failed to include the number of iterations I used. It was 8.

2 comments:

  1. Joe, I like the legend. I was curious how many iterations you went with on the map. Like Dennis's, I also like the inset without the distortion to clear things for the viewer.

    mike rushane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The inset map is really nice. And I think the legend is okay as well...a sliding scale could have also worked and taken up less space.

    Only two things stand out to me:

    (1) don't really need two scale bars since the inset map couldn't really be used to calculate scale anyway

    (2) the yellow of the north arrow is a little bright against the color scheme that you have chosen

    But these are just things that you probably already know and can be a personal judgement. Overall though, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete